Tuesday 19 February 2013

Body over mind dance

In this exercise we stood with our eyes closed, listening to music on a loop. We were instructed to just go with natural impulses rather that thinking about the movements we were making, we would just let our body naturally move.

When we first started, I found that it was just natural for me to think about the moves, and because my eyes were closed I found I was more conscious of my movements because I couldn't see what was going on around me. I felt like I was restricting myself from moving, and it my mind was superior to my body, my movements were influenced by a thought process. After a about ten minutes, the music started to put me in a sort of trance, I felt really dazed and tired, but I found that I started to drift away from the room, it became a sort of outer body experience, and I started to loosen up and I stopped thinking about the moves, I started to let my body lead me instead.

The moves I was doing weren't big explosive moves, they were very subtle, there wasn't a real thought process behind it, due to the fact that the music was very hypnotic. There were a few moments throughout the exercise where something clicked and I realised I was in the room, and instantly I closed up and became conscious of what I was doing, at one point I started thinking too much, and I thought that everyone in the room was looking at me, so my mind had taken complete control of my movement.

The music that was playing was on loop, it worked very well, and it created a false sense of time, I was lost in the music, mentally, so I wasn't aware of how long I was actually standing in the same spot, and when we finished the exercise I was really surprised to know that we had been standing there for thirty minutes, I believed we had been there for approximately ten minutes, and I think it was the effect of the music playing on loop, it was very hypnotic and it put us in a trance.

I found the exercise overall quite uncomfortable, and it showed me that my mind is superior to my body, all my movements are pre-determined, and I'm very self-conscious of what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment