Tuesday 19 February 2013

Mini Workshop - Grotowski




When doing our miniature workshop on Grotowski’s, I learned that Grotowski focused on the actor and their relationship with the audience, through emotion. His rigorous training exercises, helped to heighten an actor’s emotion, through physical exhaustion, which I thought was very interesting. He wanted actors to rid themselves of everything going on outside of them, this way they could be fully engaged with their emotions. This is where the idea of 'not to entertain, nor to instruct - to affect' comes in play, I believe the way to really affect and audience is through an emotional connection, because that way we can get them to really question.

I think Grotowski's ideas and what he wanted out of an actor would be beneficial to our piece, stripping back to a bare minimum takes away this element of trying to entertain, it becomes something on a deeper level, and I think we could use some of his techniques in order for us to fully engage with our emotions, but then also affect our audience and give them an experience where they are left in a reflective mood.

I will take away Grotowski's idea of this 'holy actor' will be really useful to me; I believe the way to create a relationship with your audience is through emotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment