Tuesday 19 February 2013

Mask workshop



The mask workshop was really interesting, because I have never worked with masks like the ones we used. I found it very challenging, because the masks had a set emotion, and you had to bring this emotion to life through use of physicality. I think the masks that had an obvious emotion of being sad, or really happy were easier to bring to life, but some of the masks with a more subtle emotion had to be manipulated, and you had to work a harder to get it to come to life.

 
I found that the masks were quite bizarre and scary, and I think it would work very well in our piece however, it could only work properly if you fully commit, to taking on the role of the mask. I think another challenge was the staging and you positioned yourself, because the audience became so immersed with the performance, that as soon as it is noticeable that it was just a mask, you immediately lost connection with the performance, so actors have to make sure the mask is a part of them, and take on the mask. they need to make sure they're not sideways on, and that their eye level is always up because if you're always looking down, the story and the character is lost, so as an actor you have to be conscious of not only yourself, but also spatially aware.

 
Personally I would find it difficult to incorporate it into our performance, because I think mask would only work with full commitment, but also it's something that would need to be played with for a long time, in order for me to actually fully engage with the character that comes with the mask, and I think it would take time to fully develop the skills in order for me to fuse with the mask, and rather it being just a mask, making it a part of me, so that it is just natural. I feel like when I'm wearing the mask, it feels very forced when it shouldn't, I think it should feel like a natural fluent movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment